In this article, we will be discussing one of the newest additions that came with the “January” Patch but wasn’t intentionally disclosed; Chat Bans.
Part of the Community Teams job is to provide information about the game, listen to the playing community and ensure your feedback is passed onto the Development Team, and provide a safe place for people from all walks of life to enjoy a game about massive spaceships blowing each other up. In an online, team-based game it is inevitable that at some point tempers will flare, that however, does not make it acceptable. In the past, our primary means of tackling hostile and negative behavior was to issue temporary suspensions, which if issued enough times to an individual, would ultimately result in a permanent ban from Fractured Space. In many of these cases, we would ask the player to contact us so we could discuss the matter further and point out why the suspension was issued, and how to avoid the situation in the future.
However, not all infractions are equal and removing a players ability to access and play the game should only occur when it is absolutely necessary. To combat this we have added “Chat Bans” in the latest patch. But what exactly is a Chat Ban?
- A Chat Ban is issued to a player if they are found to be consistently using negative or hostile behavior/language which does not warrant temporary/permanent removal from Fractured Space.
- A Chat Ban will prevent the player from entering all text messages in the in-game chat to your teammates or the enemy.
- Players affected by a Chat Ban will still have full use of the Chat Wheel and Function Key directives.
- Chat Bans apply to PvP and Co-op while active, Custom Games are unaffected.
- A player can not initially “dodge” a Chat Ban. When issued a Chat Ban, the timer will activate when you next enter a match, not when the Chat Ban was received.
- Chat Bans typically begin at 2 hours and can increase in length depending on the severity of the issue and how frequently the player has received a Chat Ban. If a player continuously receives a Chat Ban, they will be escalated to suspensions/permanent removal from Fractured Space.
- If you are issued a Chat Ban, it will not be immediately clear to other players that your communication privileges have been revoked.
We believe the inclusion of Chat Bans will help combat any toxicity that players may have witnessed while playing Fractured Space whilst also halting the removal of players who don’t deserve the severe punishment of having their access temporarily removed. We pride ourselves on having one of the most upstanding communities and want to continue that and improve upon that.
Please continue to report toxic individuals you encounter via the in-game Results Screen or via our privacy email so we can continue to tackle these issues correctly.